As a Non-Government Organization (NGO), Community for Safer Roads have been actively involved in doing advocacy with stakeholder departments to promote road safety. Through advocacy campaigns, we have raised several issues to the Government for welfare of people. In the past we have actively met and given letters and memorandum to the Hon’ble Transport Minister and the Transport Commissioner, Government of Rajasthan for various issues such as:
- Recognize Good Samaritan who helps a road crash victim and rushes to the hospital
- Provide an acknowledgement to the Good Samaritan, if he wishes to, for his records
- Stop issuing Driving Licenses to the minors aged 16 or less than 18 years because they are not eligible to drive a two-wheeler without gear having engine capacity above 50CC. It is evident that there are no such vehicles available in the market which have engine capacity 50CC or less.
- Advocated to build Safe School Zone, provide safe walking space for school children, and remove unauthorized parking.
The Impact of Advocacy Drives
- The Hon’ble Chief Minister of Rajasthan announced a reward of Rupees five thousand to Good Samaritans in his Budget Speech for FY 2021-22.
- The State Road Safety Cell, Transport Department Rajasthan formulated the scheme which was then approved and issued by the Finance Department, Government of Rajasthan in September 2021.
- The State Road Safety Cell, Transport Department issued guidelines to the Medical & Heath Department thereafter orders were issued for providing acknowledgement to the Good Samaritans when demanded.